World Sailing Race Officials Administration is governed by Section 3
of the World Sailing Regulations. The requirements for appointment as an international judge, along with the application procedure are presented in World Sailing Regulation 31
and in the publication, World Sailing Race Official Roles, Qualifications and Competences, Application Document for World Sailing International Race Officials.
Resource papers for becoming an International Judge are available here.
The specific requirements for a candidate applying to become an International Judge are in the resource. In general:
- have attended a World Sailing International Judges Seminar in the last four years;
- have passed the written examination in the last four years;
- have served as a member of a protest committee for the number of principal event fleet racing specified. At the specified number of these events, the candidate shall have been a member of an international jury and one event must have been outside his Group or his MNA in the case of Group I - Q.
- have the specified number of completed positive IJSC reference forms from the jury chairman who shall be an International Judge. The reference form is available on-line
- Submit an application form by the deadline date stated in the Regulation
All candidates must ensure they have read the most recent versions of the relevant Regulation 31 and the World Sailing Race Official Roles, Qualifications and Competences, Application Document for World Sailing International Race Officials in full, in order to understand the complete qualifications required to become an International Judge.
In preparation for the International Judges test, candidates are encouraged to review the list of English words that are used in the test.
To evaluate whether the events where one has served are considered to be Principal Events, consult the Appendix describing Principal Events.
The first application package for International Judges is available on-line here
World Sailing contacts International Judges during the year in which they are due to renew their certification, sending them the application package for renewal.