Two boats are approaching a leeward mark to be left to port.
- Both boats are running dead downwind.
- Boat A is on starboard tack, Boat B is on port tack.
- Both boats enter the zone, Boat A is slightly ahead and Boat B has overlap when A enters the zone.
- Boat B (port) claims inside overlap and hails for mark-room to round.
- Boat A denies mark-room claiming she has the right of way because she is on starboard tack.
- There is no collision and Boat A eventually avoids Boat B and both boats round.
Does rule 10 (port-starboard) apply here or does Rule 18 come into play somehow.
Is Boat A correct? Should this have gone to protest?