Finish A boat finishes when any part of her hull crosses the finishing line in the direction of the course from the last mark after completing any penalties. However, when penalties are cancelled under rule C7.2(d) after one or both boats have finished each shall be recorded as finished when she crossed the line.
8 LAST POINT OF CERTAINTYThe umpires will assume that the state of a boat, or her relationship to another boat, has not changed, until they are certain that it has changed.
13 WHILE TACKING OR GYBING13.1 After a boat passes head to wind, she shall keep clear of other boats until she is on a close-hauled course.13.2 After the foot of the mainsail of a boat sailing downwind crosses the centreline she shall keep clear of other boats until her mainsail has filled or she is no longer sailing downwind.13.3 While rule 13.1 or 13.2 applies, rules 10, 11 and 12 do not. However, if two boats are subject to rule 13.1 or 13.2 at the same time, the one on the other’s port side or the one astern shall keep clear.
18 MARK-ROOM18.1 When Rule 18 AppliesRule 18 applies between boats when they are required to leave a mark on the same side and at least one of them is in the zone. However, it does not apply between a boat approaching a mark and one leaving it.18.2 Giving Mark-Room
- When the first boat reaches the zone,
- If the boat entitled to mark-room leaves the zone, the entitlement to mark-room ceases and rule 18.2(a) is applied again if required based on the relationship of the boats at the time rule 18.2(a) is re-applied.
- If a boat obtained an inside overlap and, from the time the overlap began, the outside boat is unable to give mark-room, she is not required to give it.18.3 Tacking or Gybing
- If mark-room for a boat includes a change of tack, such tack or gybe shall be done no faster than a tack or gybe to sail her proper course.
- When an inside overlapped right-of-way boat must change tack at a mark to sail her proper course, until she changes tack she shall sail no farther from the mark than needed to sail that course. Rule 18.3(b) does not apply at a gate mark or a finishing mark and a boat shall not be penalized for breaking this rule unless the course of another boat was affected by the breach of this rule.
31 TOUCHING A MARKWhile racing, neither the crew nor any part of a boat’s hull shall touch a starting mark before starting, a mark that begins, bounds or ends the leg of the course on which she is sailing, or a finishing mark after finishing. In addition, while racing, a boat shall not touch a race committee vessel that is also a mark.
N1.10 In rule N1, one International Umpire may be appointed to the jury, or a panel of it, in place of one International Judge.