Hi everybody, and wishing a serene and enjoyable 2021 to all.
Hereby kindly asking how you read rule 42:
(c) When surfing (rapidly accelerating down the front of a wave), planing or foiling is possible
(1) to initiate surfing or planing, each sail may be pulled in
only once for each wave or gust of wind, or
(2) to initiate foiling, each sail may be pulled in any number
In position c), surfing is related to waves, while planing or foiling are not.
So, in plain English, i would read that
- to initiate surfing, we need a wave, and one pulling only per wave; and only down the front of the wave
- to initiate planing, no need of wave, one pulling only per gust of wind,
- to initiate foiling, minding neither wave or gust of wind, any number of pulling are permitted, upto when foilng starts.
and no need to be downwind.
Any comment is welcome