Forum Moderation Note:
- To make sure contributions are referencing the Test Rule, when we reference the rules in our discussion, let us distinguish between the current rule and Test Rule by using "RRS" and "TR" preceding the rule.
- The entire discussion doesn't have to be in one thread. That's why we made a sub-category for this .. so we can have individual topics focused on different observations and questions. I think it would be easier for Dave and his team to follow the issues if each question had it own thread.
2022 Test Rule 18 Information
From: Dave Perry, Chair of the WS Rule 18 Working Party
The World Sailing Rule 18 Working Party is trying to find ways to simplify rule 18 (Mark-Room) without making significant changes to the current game. We have created a test rule 18 for 2022 which is 20% shorter than the current rule, removing much extraneous and complex wording. It contains simplifications such as making mark-room the same for all inside boats whether they have the right-of-way or not and whether the leeward mark is a single mark or a gate mark, creating a clear end point for when rule 18 stops applying, and allowing boats to gybe at the windward or offset marks when their proper course is to gybe.
The Rule 18 WP is inviting sailors and race officials around the world to study the test rule, take the 2022 Test Rule 18 Quiz, and if possible use the test rule in their racing between now and July 15, 2022.
To take the virtual 2022 Test Rule 18 Quiz
, click here
If you are interested in organizing the use of the 2022 Test Rule 18
between now and July 15, 2022, or know of any fleets, clubs or classes which may be interested, email Dave Perry
To access the 2022 Test Rule 18 information online site
, click here
On the 2022 Test Rule 18 information online site
you will find:
· The 2022 Test Rule 18 (DR22-01 Rule 18, the preamble to Section C and Mark-Room)
· A red-lined edition of the current rules showing the changes in the 2022 Test Rule 18
· The language to put in the NoR for using the test rule
· The virtual online 2022 Test Rule 18 Quiz
· The preferred protest committee language for protests involving the test rule
· Two papers explaining the significant simplifications and game changes in the test rule
· The recording from my 2022 Test Rule 18 Zoom session on May 18, 2022 (just under an hour)
· The powerpoint presentation I used for the 2022 Test Rule 18 Zoom session, so others can use it to share with those testing it on the water, etc.