"Closed" Line on a Course
- Regional Race Officer
- National Judge
Created: 18-Apr-08 23:26
Sailing instructions prescribe:
- a Start/Finish Line between two marks,
- a mark W to be laid to windward of the Start/Finish Liine,
- a mark L to be laid to leeward of the Start Finish Line,
- a Course: Start/Finish Line – W – L – Start Finish Line; and
- “The Start/Finish Line is closed to boats sailing on the downwind leg, boats violating this SI will be scored DSQ by the race committee without a hearing. This changes rules 63.1 and A5”.
A boat sailing on the leg W – L sails through the Start/Finish Line and is scored DSQ by the race committee.
The boat requests redress for an improper action by the race committee, asserting that it was not possible to understand what was meant by the term ‘closed’ in the SI.
Do you think the meaning of the last quoted SI is clear?